Thursday, April 19, 2018

Review: Sadie by Courtney Summers

I knew that this book would be heartbreaking. I did not know how much it would break me. Sadie was such an incredible book. But all kinds of painful too. Real and honest and gutting. Five stars to this stunning book. Though I am not sure my heart will survive it. I shall try my best to share the reasons for why I loved this book.

First I will start by saying that I adore Courtney. She is all kinds of sweet, and her books are so good. I had hoped I would love Sadie, and I am so happy that I did so. I felt that her All the Rage book was so important. I think that Sadie is even more so. These two books are heartbreaking. And evil. But so very important too.

I very much loved the writing in this book. So happy about that. It is told in two ways. First from the point of view of Sadie. And as a radio show, mostly told by a man named West. I have not read a book like this before, written in that way, and it was awesome to do so. It was written well. And I was so caught up in this story. I loved reading from Sadie. But I loved reading about the radio show too. Sadie's part of the story is her journey, searching for the person who killed her little sister. Sadie is nineteen, her sister, Mattie, was thirteen. Her death was brutal. And that breaks my heart so much. It was not described, which was good. But oh, my poor heart. This book tells the story about Sadie. It shows her past and her present, how she is searching for a killer.

There is so much that I loved about this book. Though I should say that I mostly feel ruined right now, after having finished this book. It was brutal. Not graphic, but real. And it was pretty bad to read about. Yet important. And I loved every moment of it. Despite this weird feeling in my stomach right now. Ahh. Because this book killed me a little. And I am not sure I will ever forget about it. Getting to know Sadie ruined me. But I loved it too. She was the most amazing girl. Brave and loving and just so very strong.

I'm not going to say that much about what happens in this book. But I will mention a little of it. Sadie has been taking care of her little sister ever since she was born. They have lived with their mother, until she ran away when Mattie was ten. Their mother was a drug addict. And she did not care about Sadie at all. Which broke my heart. Because Sadie was the sweetest child. Sniffs. So Sadie was taking care of Mattie, from when she herself was just six years old. She was her mother. Sadie loved her more than anything.

But then Mattie died, age thirteen. In such an awful way. And the killer was not found. Sadie was broken after that. There are some scenes sharing those moments, and it hurt my heart a lot. This poor girl. Ahh. I loved how Sadie had always taken care of Mattie. They argued sometimes, sure, but they were the best sisters and I just loved reading about them. This book is about Sadie leaving home to find Mattie's killer. Because she is very sure that she knows who he is. Ahh. But the search for him is not going to be easy.

This book takes place in a few different towns, and I liked reading about all the different places Sadie went to. All the things that she learned. It was so painful. But so good too, kind of. And learning of her past broke me so much. I just loved Sadie. And want the very best for her. The other point of view of this book is the radio show, taking place a few months after Sadie left home, as she is missing, and people are trying to find her, and figure out her story. It was all just so amazing to read about. But so so painful.

This book has no romance. While I always want romance in my books, and while I felt like there could have been a romance in this one too, I'm very much okay with there not being one. Because Sadie was such a short book, ack. So much happens. Yet I wanted more more more. I wish the ending had been a little longer, with a few more details. Ack. I cannot help but wish for a sequel. I know it will not happen, but I want one. So much. No romance in this book, but that was okay. Though I really wanted that for Sadie.

The pain in this book was personal to me, in a way. I was abused in the worst way by my father when I was a child. Not as bad as what happened in this book, but bad enough. I do not remember the details of it anymore, and I am glad for that. It took place for years, until my mom found out about it, and he got put in jail. But it ruined my life in so many ways. And reading Sadie made my heart hurt so much. Because of how personal it was. Because of how real these stories were. And Courtney wrote this book so very well.

There is so much that I could say about this book. But I'm trying not to write too much about it. I just wish it had been a little bit longer. But gosh, Sadie was an incredible book. And I cannot wait to read whatever Courtney is writing next. She is amazing. But oh, I do not want to let Sadie go. I need to know more about this precious girl. But yeah, my heart is a little broken over this book too. Huge thank you to St. Martin's Press for approving my request to read this book early via Netgalley. So glad I got the chance to read it.

Sadie ended up being such an amazing book for me. All kinds of heartbreaking. It gutted me. But I loved it so. Getting to know Sadie was the best, though I do not think my heart will ever stop hurting for her. The ending ruined me a little too. I need to know this one detail. And I need to know it so badly. Oh. Sadie was perfection, though. And you are all going to love this book. It is dark. But it is worth it. And it is a book that I think everyone should read. It's honest and dark and heartbreaking yet it has a few happy moments too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)